NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pegasus NGC 7479

scarp15

Located just off the square not far from Markab, NGC 7479, which I believe is known as the Propeller Galaxy, is a face on barred spiral, mag 11.6 (quite diffuse and I read somewhere that it is referred to as closer to mag 13). I observed this for a brief period on Friday evening with my 14" dob, it is faint yet observable with direct vision. I did increase the magnification a little so gaining some clarity and my understanding is that it will take high power, potentially revealing structural hints of the spiral arms. It is an interesting object and one that, though faint, is potentially easy enough to locate from a dark site with reasonable transparency. Condensation was just starting to get the better of things during my period, so I would like to revisit it.

Has anyone spent any time on this object and were you able to use high power?  From what I can gather a 6" scope upwards should reveal it.

11.6 is the apparent magnitude, perhaps Stellarium is quoting the absolute magnitude?

Edit

I have just taken a look at the image on Stellarium, it would be nice to see a wispfull hint of those spiral arms, as you refer 10.85 with a variable mag reading (extincted) between 11.6 and 11.4.

Archived