Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 Star Alignment

Hi. I'm absolutely new to using a telescope other than the one I received as a gift for filling in surveys. It's A Celestron First Scope. I'm always looking at the night sky through it. Anyway, birthday last week and to my amazement my wife had got me A Goto Sky Skywatcher Scope. I've aligned the spotter scope with the main optics but I'm unsure of the 2 Star Alignment. I was wondering if The Top Right Hand Star of The Plough, think it's Deneb, could be use with The Pole Star. I just thought they might be to close for a proper alignment so any other suggestion as a second star would be much appreciated.

Hope this is the correct forum for this. Many thanks. Eifion69.

Top right hand star of the plough is Dubhe (Deneb is alpha Cygni). They have a separation of about 28 degrees, which isn't great, but will work for finding objects within the area of these two. Generally further apart (60-90 degrees) is better for 2-star alignment. Does that scope have the option of "replacing" alignment stars during a session? If so, you could start with these two and as you move further afield, change one of them to a new star to give better alignment for a larger part of the sky.

HTH

Get Skyportal or Google Sky Map on a tablet - they'll show you the main stars on view, then take your pick!

(I use Celestron's alignment.  Sometimes I just line up with one star, and that puts you in the right region as long as it's not too far away.)

Doug.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Think I will try with Dubhe, I've got Deneb on my mind from something I saw on YouTube, and Polaris for now as I'm only just starting. Also might try the one star alignment as well. As for following makers instructions I'm afraid they are very vague to say the least. There is more emphasis on assembly and putting correct entries into the hand set. Once again thanks for the advice and no doubt you will be hearing from me more as I get further into the hobby. Regards Eifion.

37 minutes ago, Eifion69 said:

Think I will try with Dubhe ... and Polaris for now as I'm only just starting

Spot on ... if what you find easy works for you, use it while it does. If you find it is no longer giving the results you want, that is the time to try something different.

Archived