Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focal reducer query

Just a query if a focal reducer would help me here. I've just bought some WO binoviewers and want to use them mostly on my ST120 frac. I can't achieve enough inward focus if I use either my 2" Altair dielectric diagonal, nor with a new 1.25" Baader prism diagonal that was recommended to me. The binoviewers do come with a screw in 1.6x Barlow screw in piece, but still can't achieve inward focus with that in either. The only current way to achieve focus is not use a diagonal at all, or use my Celestron Omni 2x Barow in the diagonal with the binoviewer fitted into the 2x Barlow. Get great views with the binoviewer, but this doubles the supplied 20mm EPs into 10mm EP in effect. Whilst the views are good I was hoping to still get  the widest views possible if I can, so my query is will a focal reducer of some kind help here so I don't have to use my 2x Barlow at all? I've worked out via tests that I need a further 55mm to 60mm inward focus than what I can achieve with my focuser currently. Short of cutting two inches off my scope tube would a focul reducer help at all to reach focus with the binoviewers with having to Barlow them at all with the 2x Barlow?

I've seen this one on FLO which doesn't break the bank, as some focal reducers are quite expensive.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

I would have thought that a reducer would make it worse. With one in the path I would have expected the focal plane to heve been pulled in even more and so worse not better.

You need a "focal extender" but that would mean making your own since I do not know of such a thing. Would actually be fairly simple (last great words), the trick to it being in not magnifying but just having the lens more at one end then the other, so that the new image plane is pushed away from the tubing and so made available to the binoviewers.

Ccannot think of a specific solution that you can go out and pay reasonable money for. Other then a sort of "low profile" focuser, which tend to be a bit of a cost I am lost for an easy solution. I would also guess that the ST120 being fast has a fairly short travel focuser on it.

What happens if anything if you turn the barlow round, sometimes they can be switched and changes occur that are more in line with what is required.

Yes, thinking about it that is logical. That's why the Barlow pushes the focus point further out which then allows me to achieve focus OK. I may toy with the idea of cutting down the frac to accommodate using the binoviewer without having to Barlow it. I did get a extension tube also when I got the bonoviewers, so I could cut off 60mm of the scope tube, and then use the extender if needed to reach outward focus for EPs when not using the binoviewers. Going to ponder on it for a while as I am in no rush to do such a drastic thing. Also considering getting a longer 80 or 100mm frac with longer focul ration specifically for planetary and lunar work, so if/when I do I may hold off surgery on the ST120 till then. :) 

Received the 2x nosepiece I ordered up from Agena Astro in the US. Got it much quicker than expected. With that screwed into the binoviewers I can achieve focus in my Baader 1.25" prism diagonal. Also, I got another Celestron Omni 32mm EP to match the one I own already so I can use them in the binoviewers too. So depending on how things go I may not worry about shortening my frac at all, but  I'll see how I go when I get some clear skies. :) 

Archived