NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Safari Observing Lists

In case it's useful to others...

I'm sharing a few Sky Safari observing lists that I've created. These give you access to a few observing projects beyond the ones that come as default with Sky Safari. These work with version 5 on iOS, but looking at the documentation, it doesn't sound like the format has changed for fair while or that it's any different on Android. These were created using an automated script rather than manually. This meant I could create them very quickly, but because Sky Safari doesn't tell you which (if any) part of the import failed, they may not be 100% correct. Looking at them in the app, I'd say they're about 95% correct which seems fair for a few minutes work, rather than days and days to create them manually! I'm using these alongside a print out of the official list, and as I tick them off on paper, any that are missing eventually become obvious.

To import, download from here, email them to your phone/tablet and then just click on the attachment in the email. Hopefully it'll all work smoothly. No tech support offered... ;-)

• The full Herschel list:

Herschel 2500.skylist

• Eagle Creek Doubles, grouped by the constellation families (with a bit of a northern bias and therefore my apologies to folks in the south):

Eagle Doubles Heavenly Waters.skylist

Eagle Doubles Hercules.skylist

Eagle Doubles Orion.skylist

Eagle Doubles Perseus.skylist

Eagle Doubles Ursa Major.skylist

Eagle Doubles Zodiak.skylist

• Melotte and Collinder for a few star clusters beyond the usual:

Melotte.skylist

Collinder.skylist

• And the Astro League Dark Nebulae:

Astro League Dark Nebulae.skylist

Enjoy! :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Size9Hex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Thanks, Paul!

Uff..  I have the Herschel 400 loaded which is quite a substantial amount of objects showing on the screen at the same time.  2500 is just scary! :)

Definitely will be going through the AL Dark Nebulae list though!

You're not wrong! It's interesting seeing them all marked at once though. I wonder in a few places if it shows almost a straight line where Herschel dragged his scope across the sky (so to speak). Could well be seeing patterns that aren't there of course. The overall view isn't too bad once you're zoomed into a specific area though (other than Virgo which is frankly horrific).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello everyboy, as you know, I am a french Astram for several 10 years. I have start Visual Assisted with Camera, this summer.

I work with an another colleague Ouki in order to share a maximum of skylist in french forum (because there is a very big lack).

So I have created a skylist library, do not hesitate to look for (language is french but the skylist are international):

http://astronomie-va.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1345&sid=80bd52b84f6e129cb26253454a77d053

Do not hesitate to write a comment on our forum when you visit us.

PS: I have created new skylist: Abell catalog, Rose catalog, ... and i will continue :D

Edited by kaelig
  • Like 1