NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opposition of Jupiter 2016

Fermenter

To create this image I set up the telescope in our front yard.  We live in a city and have a bunch of trees all around the house.  There is only one little section of the front yard where there is a gap into the sky giving about 1-2 hours worth of viewing into the cosmos.  In order to capture Jupiter at opposition, I had to wait until it was in that window around 3am.  But I'm pretty pleased with the result.  I think this is pretty darn good for the equipment I have.  Some day I'd like to upgrade to a better light bucket, but that's not in the cards anytime soon.

Opposition of Jupiter.jpg

2 hours ago, cpittman35 said:

Great capture.  It's neat to see how the moons look different, in a straight line, from my vantage point in south Alabama and only 5 hours from you.  

That is interesting.  Are you comparing to a photo you took during opposition as well?  I took this a bit after 3am ET.  

Archived