Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time OIII image

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here despite reading many other posts to gather info for the hobby of imaging which i have only be doing for a year.

Just recently I purchased some new equipment and have been eagerly awaiting clear/dark skies to try it out and am now looking for advice

This image was taken with a Canon 1100d with all filters removed and a Astronomik 12nm OIII clip in filter in place, the scope is a Skywatcher 150p with a Skywatcher coma corrector. Guiding is done with a QHY5L-II-C on an Orion 50mm guide scope. All this sat on a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5GT.

So to my question. This was my first test image with the OIII filter and wanted to find the best settings for this image, in the past I have used ISO1600 but always felt the images were a little 'grainy' so wanted to drop this to see how much 'smoother' the result would be. This image is 7 x 1200 seconds at ISO400 but with no darks although flats and bias were used.

The star shaped towards the bottom and left appear mis shaped altough they look better to the top right - I am leaning towards this being an issue with the focuser not being square, so have checked this (by making a template from the focuser fixings and replicating this on the oposite side of the telescope tube) and it appeared to be out by about 2-3mm so adjusted it. Not tested it again yet so would appreciate any thoughts on this.

The exposure was 1200seconds, should i be expecting to get any more out of Pickerings Triangle on this image if I upped this to say 1800 seconds, or am going to introduce over exposure issues with the veil nebula?

Thanks in advance of any comments on these questions or indeed any contructive criticism of the image as a whole.

Regards

Pete 

Pickering Triangle 1200sec OIII.tif

Wow huge difference! and thank you for the compliment Bottletopburly

Startools is something i dont have yet, I just use DSS then into PS CC15, and thanks for the advice on linking from flickr, here it is below

Pickering Triangle 1200sec first pass OIII

Archived