Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Completely remote setups

Hi I hope to have access to a holiday cottage at a dark sky location. My plan is to have a completely remote telescope.  Something like a 90mm refractor and ccd. Is there anything off the shelf.  I am prepared to spend some cash if I have to.  

My kit at the moment is a 127mm refractor and eq6 with Atik 428 osc 

Many thanks all

Hi,

Almost all domes which can be automated can be controlled remotely, using, in my case remote desktop.  My RoboDome (http://www.homedome.com/store/product_robodome.htm) with everything needed to connect to a PC using a serial port and I control the dome from a PC in the dome using Remote Desktop.  I also use CDC and ASCOM to control the mount and PHD with a camera on the finder for both initial aligning and finding.  I have an Aurora Eurotech rain/cloud sensor which, will in theory finish the session and shut the dome, but I have never used it remotely/unattended so far.  Part of my problem is my scope hits the dome wall if I just let it slew round and have to manually move it round using a hand controller.

My other 'automated' addition is a webcam which I can use to keep an eye on the dome, mount and scope if one of the programs crashes.  To assist with automating the PC I run a watchdog program, this detects crashes in key programs or windows and will close and restart the software or reboot the PC, it's not foolproof so I have SSH installed, this nearly always lets me in to do a reboot if Windows RDP/remote services gives up.

Although I don't do true remote, I use a tablet or PC to set everything up and then go back inside and watch the TV whilst imaging DSOs.  I keep an eye on PHD and the cloud/rain sensor graphs and soon spot when things are going wrong.  My long term aim is to relocate my obs to a dark location, but as my dome is really too small for my scope I might trade up to a bigger dome and any worries of hitting the dome wall will be gone.

The one thing I would say is that no matter how good a system you have sooner or later it is going to need manual intervention, even if it is only to pull the plug out for a good reset, so best to have someone local who can attend if need be.

Robin

Robin's solution is very similar to the route that I took - a full size observatory - but this is not a complete off the shelf solution! Parts of it are indeed off the shelf but you have to bring it all together yourself and this can be an 'interesting' challenge.

You might well find that read though my Fully Automated Imaging Observatory thread will give you a flavour of what is required.

many thanks steppenwolf and Robin. I was looking at the merlon which seems good but is pricey. My initial worry was polar alignment, but I now have The QHY polar align camera thingy which should be useful.  I currently use teamviewer to check my setup from indoors a bit like Robin. It works well. I also have a USB focuser, although I usual use my skywatcher electric focuser as it;s quicker and less fiddly in practice. 

I will check out that link Steve and do some research. I don't mind spending money if something actually works but it could be a path full of expensive mistakes without checking out the options first.

I can image the frustration of just needing a switch pressed or something adjusted at a site 100 miles away. Maybe a future robo assistant would be a godsend when the  robotics techno future finally arrives:)

Archived