NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Illuminated magnifier reading for star charts?

One of the great satisfactions of this hobby is poring over the detail in a beautiful star chart under the stars in a bid to hunt down that elusive galaxy or faint double star.    However, I find I need a decent magnifier to see the fine detail and read the labels in the these intricate atlases.  At present I use a cheap illuminated magnifier with a 40mm x 40mm lens. (See pictures).  The photo doesn't show off the fact that the light on the hand lens is actually red (red tape and red film over the bulb).

I'd like a hand magnifier with a slightly larger and less curved field of view, illumination that was a little bit more even and ideally with a dimmable light.  Any recommendations?  What does everyone else use?

Thanks

IMG_20160726_235912410.jpg

IMG_20160726_235934096 (1).jpg

Never thought of using one of those. The old MK1 eyeballs are beginning to require optical assistance.

Think you have the ideal size, there, as you want everything to be easily stored away and pretty portable.

I was looking around on Amazon and wondered if something like this would be any good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Deallink-Illuminated-Magnifier-Replaceable/dp/B0169XPU3I/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469602512&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hand+held+illuminaed+magnifier

2 LED lights may be too bright for purpose but with a bit of modification, might be worth worth it?

• 3 weeks later...

This bellow is my invention, it's a flexible red led light on a stand. With 2 cheap AA batteries, the device lasts for many hours. I guess I could hold a magnifier while using this light. 

- 2 AA support to get 3 volts, 1 resistor to lower the voltage to something like 2.1 volts for the 3 true red leds in parallel, a flexible tube from the dollar store (previously it was a white led with USB connector for a laptop)  and a Chinese food small sized spare ribs jug! (And hot glue)

It's providing me fine results for less then 5$ :happy8:

XuvL90J.jpg?2

Archived