Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What telescope should I get

So right now I have a nexstar 90slt goto scope.  I'm looking for an upgrade as I plan to sell it.  What I need help with is deciding what scope to get.  I live in a city so viewing is defiantly not optimal but I do plan on taking a road trip to upstate New York or some place like that.  I was looking to maybe get a nexstar 8se or possibly the evolution 6.  I want something sort of portable so I think that a 8-10 inch dob is out of the question.  As for astrophotography, I would like to do some like pictures of planets but Im not to worried about not having an EQ mount as I don't think ill be doing much long exposure.  Does anyone have any recommendations on if I should get the newer evolution 6 inch with the more stable mount or the older one with more aperture? Also open to other suggestions for scopes. The MAX budget is $1200 but I would like to spend a little less if possible.

Also, will I be able to get/see the planets like a lot better than before. http://imgur.com/a/Wt6Bx is the best photo I've gotten of Jupiter from the darkest area around me.  Would something like this be a reasonable thing to achieve on a 6se or 8se?  https://gyazo.com/3c27d4f71ce42eda0306ee5107c5b7a7? (I know this image is stacked, my Jupiter pic isnt).

Thanks for any responses.

I don't have any experience of the evolution 6, but a few years ago upgraded from the 6se to the 8se. The extra aperture certainly helped with the planets (webcam imaging under the streetlights). The weak link, as you surmise, is the mount itself. You certainly would not want a heavier scope on that. That said, depending on where in the sky I am pointing, I have managed to get 20/30 second exposures (for things like Pluto & Triton) with it, with a "reasonable" percentage (30-40%) of subs with round stars.

HTH

I'd go ahead and get the 6" Evolution.  In future, you can get an 8" Schmidt OTA, or perhaps even a 9.25", and attach it to the same mount.  The Evolution mount has worm gears, and release clutches for manual operation in case the batteries die or the motor(s) and/or electronics fail.  The SE mount has none of those features.

Archived