Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt LS50THA or Daystar Quark for my 80ED.

Thinking of adding solar imaging to my rig. Should I pair a Lunt with my current ASI290MC or pair a Daystar Quark with a future mono camera? The Lunt and Daystar + UV filter is about the same price. I only have the ASI290MC and DSLR to image.

The Lunt LS50 and SW 80ED Quark combo are very different beasts. Full-disk imaging is easy with the Lunt and your camera, although a monochrome camera would be much better (I am gunning for the ASI178MM in that role). The Quark SW80ED combo will not easily show the full disk, but is excellent for detail shots. It does really need a camera with larger pixels (or a focal reducer).

I think it's a tough call, but from what I've seen, as a non imager, the 80mm/Quark combination probably shades it. This would give resolution higher than could be achieved with a LS50  and full discs could be obtained by suitable focal reducers or mosaics. Not as straightforward or grab and go as the Lunt option though. The other side of the coin is that the LS50 is an almost guaranteed performer, the Quark has had well documented issues, hopefully these are currently being addressed.

44 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I think it's a tough call, but from what I've seen, as a non imager, the 80mm/Quark combination probably shades it. This would give resolution higher than could be achieved with a LS50  and full discs could be obtained by suitable focal reducers or mosaics. Not as straightforward or grab and go as the Lunt option though. The other side of the coin is that the LS50 is an almost guaranteed performer, the Quark has had well documented issues, hopefully these are currently being addressed.

Hi Peter,

What documented issues that I need to watch out for?

Archived