NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small right angle finder for C90 on an AZ3? Help....

Hi

I have a Celestron C90 Mak mounted on an Az3. The scope itself its great but I m finding it really difficult to use for anything above 30 degrees as the finder is of the straight through variety and the AZ3 is such a low mount. Spend al my time on my knees trying to peer through the finder.

I ve been searching for a small RACI or 90 degree finder with no luck so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. One issue is that the finder bracket on the C90 is moulded so looks to only take specific brackets. A small 8x21 that would fit the exisiting holder or a mod to the exisiting finder would be best??

Cheers

CP

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

I ordered a 9x50mm RACI finder from telescopes.net. A Celestron dual crosshair illuminating scope with new mounting foot. Supposed to fit my wee scope. I do so need it to fit and take some of the stress out of 1, 2 or 3 target stellar alignment with my Skywatcher EQM 35 Pro. Putting my head in those types of positions as currently required by the straight through supplied finder is downright painful at times. Other times my reticle looks to be made of ship beams, and block out targets entirely. I can’t wait to upgrade the finder with this new one, even with the “fun” of re-centering it with the main scope. Maybe then my goto targets will at least be in the finder FOV!

I have a Seben 6x30 right angle finder from Amazon which does not fit the normal bracket so I bought a complete finder scope holder from that well known site and I am very satisfied with it’s performance, all for about £35.00. If you need any info just msg me.

• 2 weeks later...

My Celestron RACI 50 X 9 illuminated dual crosshair reticle is now mounted to my C90. I love it, but haven’t lugged the gear out to really put it to the test, so far it’s a dream come true. Near zenith targets are back on the menu! Nailing those alignment stars is going to be so much easier now. 3 star training of my mount shouldn’t take the more than a few minutes now, knock wood, cross fingers, howl at moon...

I had to modify the mounting base a little. The screw slots on the new mount didn’t allow for the narrow hole set found on the C90. A dozen strokes with my chainsaw file per side and the cast metal opened up to a useable point. Otherwise the finder is a dream, and just works. Easy to calibrate with the OTA and a very good optics for its size. I expect to see the moons of Jupiter in its EP when it does eventually get a first light. I used a tree a few K away with my scope’s crosshair EP and the finder match. I’m confident I’m close enough until I can get out and use a real star to nail it. The spring loaded adjusters on this finder are smooth and steady. The crosshairs glides, instead of jumps, in reaction to using the screws. Bumping (test) show some knock resistance, but not a part of my SOP I want to establish.

I wish I had replaced the finder with this one years ago.