Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 2x Barlow Backfocus question

Hi there

I have the Celestron X-Cell LX 2x Barlow and am wondering if there's a critical distance that my ASI178MC and ASI1600MC cameras should be positioned? I've had some very poor results, when using the Barlow lens, and am wondering if this is down to backfocus. I've searched the web to see if there's and backfocus listed for the lens, but can't find any info. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

I don't believe that there is a critical distance, the cameras are attached to the barlow using a t-threaded nosepiece and that should be that. The problem could be due to a number of things. seeing quality, processing or something else in the image path. What telescope are you using ?

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response.

I have a C11 and my position means I view over rooftops, very close by. Sadly the UK weather hasn't allowed me to get out to a dark site to test the seeing/LP issue. When using the Barlow, the image is so full of noise (red/green pixels in abundance) in both the live view, and the stacked image. Garbage in, garbage out! I thought that to increase the magnification would produce clarity, but it's terrible.

Archived