Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomical Societies

AstroTiger

It is a very sad day indeed, but after recieving my notice for renewal to the BAA i have decided to resign as a member.

I have always liked the "status" of being a member of the Association, but feel that £42 they charge is way in excess of the service i feel they offer.

I guess also with mounting cost of living, i can no longer really justify the money.

I just feel the BAA could and should offer more to its members

Is it just me who feels this or are there others?

A sad AstroTiger :)

Over that past 6 or 7 years, since I got seriously into this hobby, I have on several occasions, visited the BAA web site, with a view to seeing 'what was on offer', and maybe joining.

However, on each occassion, I decided that it really didn't offer me anything personally, and that I couldn't justify the cost membership.

I did join the SPA, and remained a member for around 5 years, before realising it too, was of little or no benefit to me. A good magazine yes, but it didn't add to, or compliment AN or S at N, both of which I have each month.

I'm a member of my local Astro Club, but very rarely attend meetings, as I find that out of something like 100 members, I'm the only one seriously into astro imaging, and the majority of members are 'armchair astronomers'.

So, although not a club/society, forums like SGL, are places where I can chat and exchange ideas with active practical amateur astronomers. In fact our 'Local Meets', and the Equinox Sky Camp events, have introduced a personal element, which is nice.

To summarise, BAA, SPA RAS, I'm sure provide valuable benefits for many people. Unfortunatley, not for me.

Dave

Archived