Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount headaches, help me choose my new mount

Paul2015

Ok so long story cut short. 

Ive been observing with an astromaster 70az frac for a while now and I simply love fracs, so Im going to get another in the near future (at the moment Im thinking a short tube achro around 100-120mm) the reason being better capability for some widefield viewing. 

Now where it gets interesting. I enjoy planetary obs as well as dso stuff and I want to be able to take some short exposures with a camera around 30-60 seconds. Im not to serious about the phorography but I want to have a go. 

Every bit of advice so far has been to get a good mount first. So I will but the heq5 is out of the question due to budget (lets forget about the second hand market for a second as Id prefer to buy new). 

So my heads all a bit frazzled with what else I could get. I dont know a great deal about photography at the moment but I have some books on order to help with that and Ive never owned an eq mount (but i completely understand the concept) 

Obviously this new scope isnt good for planets so another scope will be bought for that in the future and Id quite like the mount to be transferable over different scopes for different purposes.

So heres some main questions

Do I need tracking? 

Should i get a synscan mount? (I dont like the idea of a goto mount period)

Should i get motors instead of goto? 

Im do apologise in advance if this seems to be a bit all mumbojumbo, but I cant quite seem to get out what I want to say. Im in no rush to buy anything but want to set what I need in my head so I have something to work torwards getting

If you are going to do DSO imaging then you will need a tracking mount, preferably equatorial. Whether the mount has dual axis motors (non goto type) or has full goto is up to you but goto has advantages over the basic dual axis drives than just allowing you to find objects in the sky automatically. You can skip the star alignment procedure if you wish and use the mount as an ordinary eq tracking mount.

Archived