NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar shoot out surprise

Had an interesting solar session this afternoon. Just bought a pair of 15mm Televue plossls for (night time) binoviewing (need a more robust mount than my current one to use binoviewers for solar), but thought I'd try out the new TV against my most used solar EP - the Pentax XF 6.5-19.5mm zoom - and a couple of other plossls (Meade 4000 and Celestron stock) on the sun. As I've noted many times on SGL over the past 18 months, the Pentax is a very capable solar EP, and its range is perfect for a little telescope like the Lunt 50. But at 15mm, it was beaten this afternoon by the TV plossl in almost every department - sharpness, surface detail, contrast - and it also spread the "sweet spot" over a much larger area. And in double stack mode, the normal dimming of the sun's disc was barely perceptable. The Pentax will remain in my EP case as a very capable and flexible mainstay, but very clear result today: 4. Celestron plossl. 3. Meade 4000 plossl. 2. Pentax XF. 1. TV plossl. Looking forward to trying them out on Jupiter tonight. 

Its nice when something like this happens out of the blue Mark, have you tried the Vixen SLV range? I found the 9mm to be pretty spectacular in my Lunt 60.

Archived