NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader T2 Zeiss Prism Diagonal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shane,

The Baader T2 Zeiss prism that I have performs admirably but I've not honestly detected any differences, as yet, in it's presentation of double stars or the planets compared with the Astro Physics Maxbright. Thinking back over the past few months, the number of opportunities to test them "back to back" has been rather limited - too limited to conduct the sort of systemetic comparisons that can spot differences between two high performing products !

With regards to the identifying the Zeiss prism, mine has a printed Baader logo on it's sides with a screw at the apex of the prism on each side and 4 securing the prism housing to the upper body plate (see photo below). I'm using mine with a Baader T2 - 2" barrel extension on the scope side and a Telescope Services T2 - 2" compression fit adapter on the eyepiece side. The latter is well made but seems a little oversize for the diagonal. I'm thinking of just using 1.25" eyepieces with the Tak 100 (which is the scope that I use the Baader Zeiss prism with most of the time) so I might switch the 2" adapter for a 1.25", something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-125-inch-eyepiece-adapter-with-t-2-thread.html#

BTW, the extension tube in front of the diagonal is a Moonlite which allows all my eyepieces to reach focus with the Tak 100. The standard Tak 2" extension tube is about 4 inches long which is too much !

takfocuser.JPG

Cheers John

I am hopefully going to be offered a used one and although I have no doubt about the seller's integrity it's always good to be prepared.  seems they might be difficult to tell apart in the hand.

I suppose as always with these things it's a small and intermittent benefit depending on conditions.

Just now, Moonshane said:

....I suppose as always with these things it's a small and intermittent benefit depending on conditions.

Thats usually the way with it. On a few nights a year the investment pays off. The rest of the year you ponder downscaling ...... :rolleyes2:

5 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Just looked at more pics and it seems the cheaper one has a little rounded button on the side which has the baader logo where the more expensive ones have a painted logo.

Yes, thats what I concluded when I looked at them.

I tend to agree about the 2" accessories on the wedge. I'll be using it with binoviewers which has the benefit of the t2 direct connection and 1.25" eyepieces when in cyclops mode so may go for something similar to your suggestion.  not cheap though but then again what is?:icon_biggrin:

Archived