NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6se vs evolution 6se

Hello again, 

I really want a scope for visual and yes as well as astrophotography. While checking out as per my budget I check the 6''models as I don't want a big apperture but need a bit widefield. Is wifi really necessary? What other difference do they have? I will be purchasing a wedge for long exposure astrophotography. Can you'll help me out? 

Thankyou 

Varad 

Clear skies

You don't say what sort of astrophotography you want to do but you mention long exposures. If your main interest will be in DSOs then IMO you would be better of getting a short focal length scope like an ED80. The best scope for visual is not the best scope for astrophotography. The mount should be your first consideration.

Peter

Evolution has better quality gears so less likelihood of backlash and possibly better tracking. Wi-Fi which some find very useful for controlling with a phone or tablet, definitely useful for upgrading firmware, plus a built in battery that is rated for about 10 hours of use which means one less thing to lump around. The Evo`s lighting on the mount can be dimmed as well, not sure if this happens on the SE. There might be some other minor differences mostly to do with the mount. Optically though the OTAs are the same. As others have mentioned the SCT might not be the best choice for DSO imaging.

Archived