Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebula Objects - At the eyepiece and is it there?

Ok I did something similar recently to this for double stars but as per the title, this is for popular nebula. (Caveat UK based list)

I have had on occasion times when I have struggled to find dso's, especially from my heavily light polluted garden. So I decided to make "at the eyepiece" prints of the objects place in the sky from stellarium to help. Thus if you are seeing the star pattern but not the nebula, its simply a case of not visible on the night and so you can move onto something different.

I know there are arguments against this as some say you get memory visions of what you have looked at and can find yourself thinking its there when perhaps it is not. That's why I intend using this after I have searched and viewed, this is so I can verify that I am indeed looking in the right place. A kind of fail safe if you like. Also you will note a lot of the views are simply star patterns with no nebula showing.

Some of the 45 on the list are quite obvious such as the Ring (M57), Orion (M42) and so I have not bothered with an at the eyepiece view. 

Its mag 46 with almost 1.8 tfov. You may need to rotate the views as these obviously change throughout the year and evenings. The list is on a xcel spreadsheet and the zipped folder contains the images in jpeg format.

Hope this helps some of you.

my nebula.xls

nebula images.zip

Steve, that's an excellent bit of work there thanks for sharing it.  I've downloaded both the spreadsheet and the photographs and was wondering if it were possible to link the two such that when an object is selected from the list it opens the photograph automatically?

Jim

It should be Jim, right click in the object name and click hyperlink, find the photo name you want and click ok. Easy enough although I priinted mine off and put into a folder for ease of use at the eyepiece.

I was going to laminate but couldnt be bothered

Thanks Steve, I forgot about the hyperlink option.  I think I'll follow your lead and print a copy out as well for use at the telescope, keep the electronic copy for planning. Thanks again, this is going to be a really useful resource.

Jim

Archived