SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion XT10i next lens purchase?

Ok since xmas we've had much a fun cold night staring at the stars and in awe at Jupiter using our new Orion XT10 Dob. Since this hobby is something that is definitely something we are enjoying and looking to expand I was hoping for some advise on our next lens purchases.

I have £50 in free amazon gift voucher so looking to spend that but what on? I know I need a decent barlow and was looking for an Orion Shorty-Plus 3 Element 2xBarlow to double up on the 10mm and 25mm Plossl that come with the dob as standard but cant seem to find any shorty-plus online. Which leads to me to either go for a Celestron ultima x 2 barlow or a Antares 3x Barlow? =

I was also looking at various Accesory Kits that include lens's/Barlows ie.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-1-25-Premium-Telescope-Accessory/dp/B0069VXRLS/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=3S2NTMF17EGG5V3EBT8D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KMC0UC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A369VFSEW5T0U3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revelation-Observers-Eyepiece-Aluminium-Case/dp/B01DUL35M0/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=BJQGDS993MTW4PK1N8F7

But still being pretty green to the hobby i'm unsure whats the best bet for my setup and not to duplicate any powers etc.

Would it be worth buying these kits etc or just start to buy one very decent lens at a time i.e the Tele Vue range.

Can someone give me some advise on how they would expand on lenses etc after buying an XT10, money really isn't an object BUT I like to be sensible with purchases knowing im doing the right thing.

Thanks guys!

Hi Budgewink, I would avoid kits altogether, they are not good value for money as you'll only end up using one or two ep's and the filters not at all as they only inhibit your view.  No, I would start off with individual ep's, yes, TV are nice and will work well in your fast scope.  However, if you want to just dip your toes to start off with, the BST Explorer StarGuiders are a good place to start at £49 each and also work well in fast scopes here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=bst+starguiders&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbst+explorer.TRS0&_nkw=bst+explorer&_sacat=0

I would recommend the 18mm and the 8mm to start off with.

Good luck!

Hi Robin, Thanks for your response. Can I ask what a final eyepiece collection might look like, do most people have 5-6 in their inventory. Where would you go after getting the 18mm and 8mm?

Being an f/4.7 scope you are going to need quality eyepieces to combat the coma.  Therefore, like others said stay away from kit eyepieces.  Because the scope does not track I would get a good widefield low power eyepiece like 24mm to 32mm, 82° or greater Televue or Exployer Scientific.  Heard great things about both brands.  You are going to pay a lot for the Televues.  This would be good for finding objects of course and for large emission nebulae and open clusters.  A good midrange eyepiece would 17mm or 18mm again 82° or greater Televue or Exployer Scientific.  Tbis would be good for galaxies and globular clusters, open clusters and emission nebulae etc.   For the higher powers, perhaps a 10mm Televue or Exployer Scientific for  planetary nebulae, the smaller globular clusters and galaxies etc.  For planets, 2x Barlow the 10mm or a 5mm eyepiece.

+1 For the BST's, I have just got the full set ( or will do as the 18mm seems to have gone astray in the post ) and they work really well in my Orion XT8g. I suppose, depending on what you want to observe the most, will dictate what the most useful focal lengths and AFOVs eyepieces to get. If you are into DSO's, nebulas especially I would highly recommend a UHC filter as a handy piece of kit, I just got a Skywatcher 1.25" one a couple of days ago and finally got to try it out last night, and I was amazed. I have been trying to view the Owl Nebula since I got my first real scope, a Heritage 130p last year with no joy and even the XT8g couldn't resolve it in my light polluted sky but on with the UHC filter and there it was. Needless to say there was much rejoicing and air punching.

Archived