NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Short lunar session -15/05/16

johnfosteruk

Well, after a brief view of a very wobbly Jupiter and 3 moons due to poor seeing this evening, I'd almost decided to pack up, but went for a quick glance at the moon. Glad I did as there were some brief moments of clarity and I was able to run through a few of the target list of 'exceptional formations' that I took from Virtual Moon atlas (my new favourite software tool) including a few items from the Lunar 100 list. I'll not be ticking them off though as the conditions weren't that good as I said so I've only actually had partial glimpses of the notable details that make them Lunar 100 targets (if that makes any sense) All at 10mm with 2xBarlow which was probably foolish given the conditions.

I hopped around getting occasional reasonable views of Bullialdus and one of Rimae Hippalus' Rilles not far away - the one that passes through Hippalus crater. I also glimpsed Kies Pi, between Kies and the neighbouring mountain, a tiny little blister popping through the seeing momentarily after a long time looking. As soon as it was there it was gone. A fine example of why I needi to go back for more before I put a tick in that box!!

Further north, Montes Carpetus gave me some good details, I found Gay-Lussac nestled in amongst the eastern end of the range which is quite interesting and Mons La Hire was catching the light and grabbing my attention too in Mare Imbrium. Then before I knew it the clouds came in and it was time to retire indoors. 

All in all, nowhere near the pleasure I had last night but a worthwhile session nonetheless.

Clear Skies

John

Archived