NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 14/5/16

mikeDnight

Here's my latest observation of Mars made on 14/5/16. The seeing was reasonable for such a low angle of observation and this sketch completes the second set of six drawings illustrating the rotation of the planet. FC100DC @ X148, prism diagonal view so north is at top and proceeding is on the left. S = ll Antoniadi.

Mike :happy11:

2016-05-15 00.43.32.jpg

2016-05-15 00.42.35.jpg

It appears you've found the mystery and the difficulty many have had when viewing the Red Planet. I'm referring to the 1800's and early 20th century. But I still can't make out how Lowell was seeing canals - perhaps that's a case of: "But for the grace of a few brain-cells go you or I." :icon_mrgreen:

Very nice sketches!

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

It appears you've found the mystery and the difficulty many have had when viewing the Red Planet. I'm referring to the 1800's and early 20th century. But I still can't make out how Lowell was seeing canals - perhaps that's a case of: "But for the grace of a few brain-cells go you or I." :icon_mrgreen:

Very nice sketches!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Back in 2003 while using my Tak FS128, I made over thirty sketches of Mars and was a little bit disturbed to find I'd recorded three so called canals. All it turned out were well recorded features and can be seen in any good scope. The most obvious is called 'Indus' and is an illusion  created by subtle markings. Indus appears as a fine line connecting Margeritifer with Acidalia and is nothing but a contrast effect. The second is called 'Ambrosia' and can be seen in the Solis Lacus region. The third was also seen in Solis Lacus but I've never found a name for it, but it has been recorded many times by others. I'm not crazy, honest! :icon_geek:

I kind of feel sorry for Percival  Lowell, as he's achieved  great things and inspired so many, but is remembered for his Martian Canals rather than the great observatory he envisioned and brought to life. I've never been to Mars Hill but if I were to visit the USA it would be my first port of call.

Anyhow, I bet Percy would have been thrilled by the high power views I had last night. I don't normally share these as most people don't believe what a small Takahashi refractor can do, but I've attached the images here for you. :happy7: (Actually these were paintings made by Grtrude Moore, the mother of Patrick), but not bad for an earth based observation! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike

2016-05-15 08.49.03.jpg

2016-05-15 08.50.11.jpg

Just to keep you happy and sane, you might like a 'Reality-Check' as a screensaver:

http://mars-screensaver.software.informer.com/download/

Just click out of any other offers. This is free an won't ever bug you - but it's very nice!

Lovely images, there Mike. I think that's what I see in my sugar-bowl if I don't get enough sleep! :D

All the best -

Dave

Great sketches as always Mike.  Talking about the 'canals' observations of Mars, I remember a long time ago (while I was waiting for my Vixen Fluorite to arrive from Mars, I mean Japan :)) one of the many chats I had with Rob of BC&F, who also had a FL102s at one time, him mentioning one night of exceptional seeing when viewing Mars with it he saw the illusionary effect of canals on the surface as well.  Only once and never again.  Bizarre.

Tony.

5 hours ago, t0nedude said:

Great sketches as always Mike.  Talking about the 'canals' observations of Mars, I remember a long time ago (while I was waiting for my Vixen Fluorite to arrive from Mars, I mean Japan :)) one of the many chats I had with Rob of BC&F, who also had a FL102s at one time, him mentioning one night of exceptional seeing when viewing Mars with it he saw the illusionary effect of canals on the surface as well.  Only once and never again.  Bizarre.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

Back I 2003 while using my FS128, in moments of exceptional seeing, I noticed such a wealth of intricate detail impossible to record in a drawing. It was as if the surface of Mars had been pieced together using fragments of egg shell each a slightly different shade and colour. I suspect that its the contrast between such areas that may cause the illusion of at least some of the linear features that some observers recorded. It takes your breath away when suddenly these things jump out at you in the eyepiece, but by the time you move aside to let a friend look, they've gone again. Hence everyone thinks your crazy! :icon_geek:

Mike

Archived