Equatorial Wedge for Sky-Watcher 200p Dob

DOBGUYNORTHWEST

Hi everyone, so I've been looking at upgrading to a new scope with tracking capabilities, but it is just not possible financially at the moment. (BOOHOO)

I have seen this post where someone has made one before for the same scope - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236793-equatorial-wedge-for-sky-watcher-200p-dobsonion/#comment-2565512

Am I right in thinking I only have to change the angle of the base for my own design? Being at 53 degrees North, I presume I will have the base at a 53 degree angle?

Also, I have looked at Equatoral Platforms & they seem a bit too complex for my liking, the approach OP took seems to be much more friendly to a low budget and DIY abilities.

Any other suggestions would be helpful too!

Thanks for reading, Curtis.

1 hour ago, DOBGUYNORTHWEST said:

change the angle of the base for my own design? Being at 53 degrees North, I presume I will have the base at a 53 degree angle?

I think that your angle will be 37deg, (90 - lat) = (90 - 57), I have not done it myself and do not have your scope so double check what I say and/or wait for a expert to come along ! :)

I think it works like this - if you were at the equator it would need to be 90deg and if you were at the pole you would have 0deg ( an AltAz at the pole is a default Equatorial ! ), and I think the mathematics people would call it the 'Co-latitude' angle.

A problem might be that the altitude bearings ( now becoming the declination bearings ) are maybe not designed to take an end load, so they may be prone to sideways slip as the angle of tilt increases. Depends why you need it to track, if just for manual ease then may not be a prob. but if you are thinking of photography then any flexing could be a no-no ?

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think an Equatorial Platorm would be a much more satisfactory and stable answer, is that something you could consider making?

Possibly, it looks quite difficult thought. I'm not one for electronics, I have no problems messing about with wood etc.

1 hour ago, SilverAstro said:

I think that your angle will be 37deg, (90 - lat) = (90 - 57), I have not done it myself and do not have your scope so double check what I say and/or wait for a expert to come along ! :)

I think it works like this - if you were at the equator it would need to be 90deg and if you were at the pole you would have 0deg ( an AltAz at the pole is a default Equatorial ! ), and I think the mathematics people would call it the 'Co-latitude' angle.

A problem might be that the altitude bearings ( now becoming the declination bearings ) are maybe not designed to take an end load, so they may be prone to sideways slip as the angle of tilt increases. Depends why you need it to track, if just for manual ease then may not be a prob. but if you are thinking of photography then any flexing could be a no-no ?

Thanks for the input! Yeah I was unsure about calculating the correct angle, still am. Hopefully someone comes along with an answer it's all abit confusing! (maths isn't a strong point of mine) :) 

10 minutes ago, DOBGUYNORTHWEST said:

Possibly, it looks quite difficult thought. I'm not one for electronics, I have no problems messing about with wood etc.

I don't think the motorized parts are too complex. Sure you could get help on here with it

1 hour ago, DOBGUYNORTHWEST said:

Thanks for the input! Yeah I was unsure about calculating the correct angle, still am. Hopefully someone comes along with an answer it's all abit confusing! (maths isn't a strong point of mine) :) 

I'm not sure that's correct, I'm at 51.5 degrees north, and point my EQ mount at 51.5 degrees north to spot Polaris so surely your angle needs to be 53 degrees?

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks good! Sumerian make good stuff

Yeah think I'm gonna go with them to be honest, all the calculations etc are too much for my simple brain haha plus I'm likely to mess up the required angles of cuts etc as everything has to be precise. :)

Archived