Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When is a problem, not a problem!?!

When it involves your ND3.0 solar safety filter being well and truly stuck fast inside of your Hershel Wedge. My HW came without an ND3.0 filter so i had to buy one separately. I put it in to my HW over a year ago and said to myself: "i'll never have to worry about putting it in".

Today just before going outside to observe the transit of Mercury, i decided to take my ND3.0 out of the wedge just to inspect it before using it. No chance!!!!!!!. It is well and truly locked into the HW (in the proper position). As the HW is rarely used for most of the year and is stored in the lovely little fly case it came in, i felt confident enough that it was safe to use but i still put it on the scope and held a sheet of paper up to it to see if it burned.........it didnt.

So now i really do not ever have to worry about putting it in before observing the Sun and i cant be silly enough to take it out and forget that i did.

Sorry Mods if i have posted this in the wrong section. Probably more suited to the whole setup discussion section.

Archived