NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I need some advice

Last Christmas I was given a Meade DS 2090, now I had some misgivings due to its aperature size but did like the idea of the GoTo, just a pity I never really seen much from it.

So I got myself a Celestron 10" Dobsinian and within a few days of having I was happy as I had managed to see Saturn really well. But I have some misgivings, its mostly the size and the bulkiness of the 10" as its not easy to get outside at night. (while the meade is but that hasnt shown me much). Plus I have found the controls for the 10" to be a bit cumbersome, I never found it easy to fine tune my aiming.

So I am considering selling both and getting a Celestron NexStar 8", which should give me good aperature, mobility, better fine tuning for aiming and the GoTo feature.

What do you think ?

Hi,

I got a 10" Revelation Dob' and think it's stunning. So's the weight! Bulky and and just this side of being portable. I also have a Megrez 72FD and a cheap Vixen refractor. Both are great as what they do. The Vixen was 69 quid. Saturn was crisp and detailed... was the DS 2090 good too?

I use the Dob just as much as the others as it's worth the effort and 'nudging' the dob is a skill once mastered I can track easily.

Nexstar 8 is a good 'scope. I have goto on my LXD75, but don't use it much as I'm still learning the night sky. Some say goto makes you lazy. Reluctantly I agree but is great for locating difficult objects. How about an Orion XT8i? It's a 'push to' Dobsonian? Lighter than the 10" at 20lbs and you can always turn off the goto. It's also much cheaper, so you can buy some extras like eyepieces...

Thanks for all your advice, at the moment I am leaning towards getting the 8" nexstar. As read its easier to align then my meade (even when I thought it was perfectly pointed towards north, I still couldnt find my alignment star. I was in the right direction but no results, then it got cloudy)

I think I just want something as portable as my meade with good size like my dob that is a bit too heavy for me. Plus the chance to see more then saturn, the moon or mars a little bit is very pressing.

Thanks for all your advice, at the moment I am leaning towards getting the 8" nexstar. As read its easier to align then my meade (even when I thought it was perfectly pointed towards north, I still couldnt find my alignment star. I was in the right direction but no results, then it got cloudy)

I think I just want something as portable as my meade with good size like my dob that is a bit too heavy for me. Plus the chance to see more then saturn, the moon or mars a little bit is very pressing.

You've just answered your own question really, you need more than one scope. You won't get one that does it all.

Archived