NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transit of Mercury NEQ6 Tracking

MarkyD

Hi all

I am intending (weather permitting) to time lapse the Transit of Mercury on Monday 9th with my 200P-DS and Canon MkIII.  Approx 480 frames over 8 hours.  Something that has just occurred to me is aligning the NEQ6 mount.  How does one align the mount in the day or do people PA it the night before and leave the mount outside all night then just attach the scope and away we go?

--

Mark

Before I had my pier and obsy, I would align the mount on my tripod and I would place upturned pierced green milk carton tops on the grass beneath the legs secured with Galvanised nails. I would then carry my stuff in at night and put it back out in the day without adjusting anything. It should be close enough for Solar work. Remember to choose 'Solar' as the tracking mode and to 'Park' the mount before you power off.

Archived