Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky high Jupiter knee high Mars 4/5/16

mikeDnight

Here's a sketch of jupiter from last night 4/5/16, showing its usual display of turbulent  cloud detail. What stood out to me from last night's observation was what appeared to be a dark protrusion accompanied by two white ovals on the STB. I can't remember seeing a feature as dark as this on the STB for some time.

Later I took a look at knee high Mars and was rewarded with a very nice view of Syrtis Major, Sinus Sabaeus and Sinus Meridiani. Hellas on the proceeding limb was as bright as a polar cap. The seeing was very good for such a low angle view.

Mike ?

2016-05-05 09.25.02.jpg

2016-05-05 09.12.06.jpg

34 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Love the title. Very nice sketches too. Mars looks great. If the skies ever clear I will get a look for myself.

I hope you do get the chance to take a look and your skies clear for you. I think I've been very fortunate so far, especially as the planet is so low. I seem to have a very stable east to south view most of the time, much past the meridian though and it deteriorates noticeably for some reason. 

I'm glad you liked the title. It took all my brain power for that one! :happy11:

I've attached the show so far!

Mike

2016-05-05 09.10.54.jpg

Archived