Skywatcher 80ED comes with 2" 28mm APEX eyepiece. Please suggest one to buy.

MY Yau

The 28mm will cover the wide field / low power use. The next steps are medium and high power and you don't need 2" eyepieces for those.

With a short focal length scope such as the ED80 a good quality barlow lens might be the best way to get high power ?

The choices are (almost) endless - what sort of budget do you have for the additional eyepieces ?

1 hour ago, John said:

The 28mm will cover the wide field / low power use. The next steps are medium and high power and you don't need 2" eyepieces for those.

With a short focal length scope such as the ED80 a good quality barlow lens might be the best way to get high power ?

The choices are (almost) endless - what sort of budget do you have for the additional eyepieces ?

the shop i am getting my scope from have these available. choices are limited. i might have to source elsewhere. i am looking for good and value for money.

First, congratulations on the very nice scope:smiley:

My takes is following: the biggest strength of these small ED refractors are two: 

1. enable very wide TFOV no bigger scopes can.

2. very good colour correction.

Therefore, the most suitable observing objects should be the large nebulas, double stars and planets (including the Moon of course).  For best performance/cost, I'd recommend a 40mm skywatcher Aero, and a Baader MarkIII zoom, so that you have all the range coverred.

If you sky is dark or have easy access to dark sky, adding a UHC or/and OIII will give very good view of larger nebulas,seeing both North American nebula and Pelican nebulas in that 40mm eyepiece is nothing many scope/eyepiece combination can do.:smiley:

Nice choice of scope!

The stock 28mm is fine but has a tiny Fov. This is a wide field scope so treat it to a wide field eyepiece. The ES 82° 24mm is my favourite. BUT, it is heavy. The focuser is more than up to the task, but unless you are using a reasonably heafty mount, balance may be an issue.

Paul

Archived