SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi all.

don't know if I am in the right place, but require some good advice.

i am thinking of buying a APM 6in ed, 1200 refractor in the not too distant future. I already have a celestron 9.25in SCT.

The question is, whether it is worth spending a lot of money on the APM, would there be any benefit in performance in terms of 6in APO v's the SCT? I have been doing a lot of reading and there is a lot of confusing data out there.

I would be grateful for any of your thoughts, I want to get this decision right.

thanks for your help, in advance.

The refractor will give you visually sharper more well defined views of the moon and planets, and more piercingly sharp star images. It will also give you wide field capabilities, so rich field views of large nebulae, clusters and comets will be more rewarding in the refractor. A UHC filter will be a good accessory with this scope.

Mike

Hi Olly.

The scope will be used for visual, a mixture of planetary, nebula and clusters, and the moon. 

Would I need the SCT, if I had the APM? With what I have read, the APM would be a better choice, just. I have had a couple of refractors in the past, the last being a 5in Triplet. I miss the pin point stars and colours.

thanks

hi Graphic, very please with mine for visual (i dont image) - it does need longer cool down (than say the 120ed that had previously) - the colour and sharpness are great and very pleased- no plans to sell :) just be aware being longer and relatively heavy, needs to be counterbalanced and on a good mount - i use mine on AZEQ6 and manual Skytee2 - both handle it well. recommend getting extension pillar if use a ST2 as the extra height is needed near zenith unless you are v flexible! If you can, get the model with starlight focuser too :)

Archived