See more Nebula and Galaxy?

N3ptune

Hi,

I have a question today about Astrophotography, I have a great satisfaction each time I find a nebula or galaxy in the sky, like the Crab Nebula which is really faint.

I am searching for a way to see more, i know astrophotography costs a tremendous amount of money so I see the following image in my head:

- Get a RA motor for my instrument which is a reflector for Astrophotography.(in my signature)
- Get a decent USB camera (which one, how much?), a laptop and a software.(I have these)
- So I could take pictures with expositions like 30 secs right into the computer, then I could watch the result on the screen with a few colors and hopefully some quality.

I am not into spending 2000$ for a Nikon, 700$ for a coma corrector, multiple hundreds for special filters, replace my EQ5 for another computerized heavy duty equatorial mount and other things I don't know about yet. I just want to see more a little bit more if it's possible and not too expensive.

Maybe my plan is totaly BAD and a waste of money, just testing if it could work.

Thanks.

Well, it all starts with the mount. You could probably get away with motorising your mount and sticking a DSLR on it with a camera lens, but thats about as cheap at it gets. DSLRs really are not that expensive if you look, a used Canon 1000 or 1100d would probably cost about $300 (maybe cheaper) and you would probably get a kit lens with it you can use.... 50 or 100mm is a good starting point.

Dont go down the Nikon road, Canons are much more widely supported and the bundled software you get with them is pretty good. And in the daytime, youve got a nice camera to use for other photography... people tend to use smartphones for point and shoot thesedays, but they are nothing compared to a proper DSLR camera - they can make even the most mundane of objects look interesting.

And, If you live in a dark place (which most of Canada is!), then you probably dont even need a light pollution filter!

Then, if you get  a taste for it - get a proper mount for your 200pds. Despite what some may say, an EQ5 (with only RA motors) will definitely not cut the mustard if you ask it to carry a 200pds - which is a bit of a lump to be honest. Or you can choose to downsize, by getting a smaller, lighter telescope (ie: the total payload must be no more than 5kg)... but even then, the EQ5 will not make it easy for you.

A HEQ5 or 6 really isnt hard to use, even moreso if its goto... its just a case of telling the mount where/when it is and pushing a few buttons. As proof, I let my 5 year old son have a go on mine and here is what he came up with:

25057685561_49cc2b3d96_c.jpg

We do our best to de-mystify the "dark arts" here at SGL, and there is an army of imagers only too willing to share the knowledge.... after all, there is no profit in keeping those little tricks/tips all to yourself! :)

I started like that - getting what I could with the money I had at the time. While it got me started and helped me learn the ropes....BE WARNED.... once you start it will be very difficult to pull back from it once you get the bug. Many people say "buy once, buy right" and it is definitely worth giving that some thought. If you get something decent with your kit, you will soon be wondering what you could do with a modified DSLR, or a bigger mount, and then with longer subs - which is when you start looking at guiding solutions... :-) Sp perhaps save a bit more while you figure out what you want to do and how you want to do it.

This is the place to start - 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

A lot of people will recommend that book, me included!

Thanks for your advices, I definitely need to read a book on the subject before I do anything (thanks for the suggestion Marky). I don't know much about cameras, but I still use a compact camera to take pictures, no smart phones so a DSLR would be something great for me someday.

--> It's kind of sad my EQ5 is not a good mount to support the weight of the camera and the scope... it's already heavy, I am having a hard time carrying it...  My motivation is down a little bit. :p

Uranium, that's a really nice picture your kid took, it's beautiful (:

Dont be too disheartened, the eq5 is fine for visual work with that telescope but AP requires something a bit more sturdy. I had the Celestron version of it to start off with (CG5) and mounted a 150p with an ST80 - which totalled something like 8 or 9kg (about the same as your 200). I soon found that it was all a bit too wobbly and frustrating to use, and I spent many a long night in a cold shed shouting at the gear for not doing what I wanted it to...lol :D    But, when I dropped the weight a bit by using a small refractor and a lightweight guidescope, things became a lot easier - but still no walk in the park due to the inconsistency of results.... mainly down its drive mechanism (servo motors) which unfortunately had a lot of backlash in DEC.

Thats why I suggested the DSLR + lens option as a starter, that would drastically reduce the weight and give the mount much less work to do. Even with an HEQ6 a 200pds would be a challenge on a windy night, im still thinking about getting one for myself but im trying to sort out some wheels first (learning to drive... long overdue!) so I can take the gear on the road - plus Im not sure my better half would be too pleased if I were to purchase another telescope so soon after my last one!

Take it slow and steady, there is plenty of time to build up your gear over the years... the stars arent going anywhere, and they will be there long after you and I are gone :)

Uranium235, I am glad you are learning to drive (; it's going to be great for you to go where you want. Plus, driving to a darker place while listening to good music is a precious moment.

I don't think I am Disheartened, after this discussion, I think Astrophotography is not for me yet, I am not frustrated about it or anything, I have 1 year of visual observation experience without any GoTo, I am getting good at star hopping and I draw sketches.. I think it would be better for me to continue like that after all. (A voice is telling me  not to get involved into that because it's going to spoil my great moment)

I watched galaxy 2841 in Ursa Major at 55x last Sunday and it made me happy all day long, today.  I don't know how this can be yet, it's filling me with joy.

(:

Archived