Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 100d incoming

nicks90

I currently have a mirrorless interchange camera - samsung nx100 - which for general photography when out and about is absolutely stunning. Massive leap up from a compact or bridge camera.

BUT - its not that much cop for widefield astro work. no matter what settings I use its all a bit black and white, no star colours and a bit noisy. Plus the samsung lenses are a complete faff to focus manually and wide open make weird star shapes.

luckily i got an award at work and spent the money on a canon 100d with the 18-55mm IS lens - mainly because its what i could afford, but also because its really light and small.

Ideally i will be using it for widefield (probably with a 135mm prime and maybe on my little 70mm f5 frac), but i have no idea what settings I should be using for limited 30 second exposures.

Can anyone advise some basic settings i should be using for starters and then I can 'fiddle' as I get used to it? Do i need to use mirror lock up, change auto WB etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

White balance does'nt matter if you shoot RAW, it will matter to the image you see on the camera screen, so set it to daylight.

Set ISO to 800 or 1600, experiment with that.

30sec exposures are a bit limiting so may be go for bright targets like clusters or the very bright nebs.

Hi Nick,

I have had a Canon 100d for a few months now after upgrading from a Canon 1000d.

I really like the 100d, as you say it is smaller and lighter. It handles noise really well. As said in the previous post, iso 800 is very good for dso photos, even going up to 1600 is possible. I know as I have experimented with mine. I have had some very pleasing results.

Archived