Some DIY stuff to motivate a 3D printer

YKSE

I've made some CAD models to convince myself that a 3D printer is needed:

1. 2" filter wheel for 3 filters with flexible connection on both sides for short light path(a picture of type with SC threads):

filterwheel_2inch_sc.jpg

filterwheel_2inch_drawing.tif

2. 1.25" for 4 filters with flexble connections (T2 in the picture):

filterwheel_125inch_t2.jpg

3. Holder for dew heater on EQ3/5 tripod tray:

mount_dewheater_eq35.jpg

4. Holder for 12V DC converter on EQ3/5 tripod tray:

mount_12V_eq35.jpg

5. Filter mount for using 2" filters on binoculars:

filter_mount_bins.jpg

Any other small DIY goodies for visual only amateurs?

filterwheel_2.tif

filterwheel_125.tif

EP turret? Although the plastic contraction in cold may put the idea out.

EP case?

I would also say solar film holder but I prefer using solar film with a camera incase of pinholes.

Hi

Interesting, but there may be practicalities of 3D printing that stop you printing some of those designs without modification.

The filter wheel for example would have great difficulty with the required threads as I suspect they are just to fine to be printed accurately.

Also you ideally need one side of each part to be flat for easy printing, you can use support structures, but its usually not as good as a redesign.

I wonder what other people have achieved in terms of a fine thread?

I'm OK at M10/12 but haven't tried anything finer!

John

3 minutes ago, fireshipjohn said:

Hi

Interesting, but there may be practicalities of 3D printing that stop you printing some of those designs without modification.

The filter wheel for example would have great difficulty with the required threads as I suspect they are just to fine to be printed accurately.

Also you ideally need one side of each part to be flat for easy printing, you can use support structures, but its usually not as good as a redesign.

I wonder what other people have achieved in terms of a fine thread?

I'm OK at M10/12 but haven't tried anything finer!

John

I'd make a solid section then do it manually. The threads would have a very high failure rate I suspect unless you're doing stereolithography. 

I find that if I make the holes about 0.1mm to 0.2mm small, ABS will self-tap.  For taking bolts I make the holes half a millimetre small and use a tap.  I find ABS will take a tap remarkably well and bolts are quite secure (as long as you don't undo them and do them up again too many times).

Archived