NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacement of sodium lights by full spectrum LEDS

Hello,

I read in the journal a few days ago, at Montreal, they want to replace ALL the existing HID regular street lights by full spectrum LEDS modules.. I find it scary a little bit.. and I would like to know how this will affect me and my astronomy hobby.

--> I read white LEDS are a total catastrophe for light pollution.. some people even gets hysteric about it.. so it looks like serious matter. 

===============

In this map I live in the red part, I can watch a lots of things in this red part and I also drive to orange and yellow to watch the sky.

--> How bad it's going to be for me... ? is there any tools existing to simulate the before and after toward sky pollution?

Thanks

N2ptune

ZQNCEkf.png

If the fittings are properly designed generally you get less of a light dome... but if the ground underneath is "reflective" then it's a whole different matter... :(

How much snow do you get in Montreal?

It used to be so easy to filter out the sodium wavelengths  even the low pressure one and Mercury didn't use to be too bad as well with the right filters...

Peter...

I am new in Astronomy, 1 years or so... I didn't experienced the good years of filtering..

I don't know if the ground is reflective really, I guess it is, there is a lot of snow in Montreal too.

--> City will save 278 millions 0ver 20 years. so they are going to install them, no doubt about it.

======

Those are the word of the scientist talking about the leds:

“We aren’t against all LEDs,” says Martin Aubé, an astrophysics professor and researcher at CÉGEP de Sherbrooke. “Only against the white ones, because they contain that bluish colour.” White LEDs come in a range of whites — warm, cool, bright — but all of them contain the blue that increases light pollution and has been linked to health issues.

“Using white LED lights increases light pollution by three times, which means 300 per cent more light pollution,” says Aubé. “If it continues in this direction, it is crystal clear that not only we won’t see the starry sky, but our health and ecosystem will pay the price.”

Kind of sad..

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that the LED head units are being installed here in Cornwall over the last few weeks, I'm sure they will result in a large cost saving........if they weren't currently shining 24/7 .

Perhaps I'm missing something, however as the LEDs are brighter, then the same light levels as are currently provided by sodium lights could be provided by a lower current, thus keeping light levels at least stable, whilst saving money?

• 5 weeks later...

Light pollution is the largest single waste of energy resources on the planet with the whole side of a planet lit up while 90% of the night side population is either indoors or sleeping. To say that blue light is the problem is like saying the coal is fine we just don't like the color...lol. All pollution is bad or humans would not have coined the phrase and gave it a meaning. Using technology and blindness to avoid the truth is how things got this way to begin with. Stand up and speak out...even on small scales it can make a difference.

Archived