NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In depth 'First Light' Review

2 minutes ago, Linda said:

Thanks. I also want to upgrade from a 127mm Mak to a 8" SCT. Was a bit in doubt whether is would be big enough. But it obviously is.

I'm really glad I did but it is large and heavy. Unless I'm just small and weak!!

Glad it's arrived, Pete.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my new 8SE.

I did once carry the whole assembly, but it's heavy and tricky to manoeuvre.  Far easier to take the OTA off and carry that separate from the tripod and mount.

Had a good look at some clusters last night - M35, 38 (Starfish).  The bigger aperture sure brings more faint stars out of the dark!

Targeted M13, then a neighbour's loft extension light went on, so it was like trying to escape from Colditz.

Another thing - I found costly items (i.e. new telescopes) are only insured on the premises, so thought it prudent to extend cover to outdoors as well!

Have fun!  I'm raring to get out again tonight.

Doug.

14 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Glad it's arrived, Pete.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my new 8SE.

I did once carry the whole assembly, but it's heavy and tricky to manoeuvre.  Far easier to take the OTA off and carry that separate from the tripod and mount.

Had a good look at some clusters last night - M35, 38 (Starfish).  The bigger aperture sure brings more faint stars out of the dark!

Targeted M13, then a neighbour's loft extension light went on, so it was like trying to escape from Colditz.

Another thing - I found costly items (i.e. new telescopes) are only insured on the premises, so thought it prudent to extend cover to outdoors as well!

Have fun!  I'm raring to get out again tonight.

Doug.

I'll have a look at the insurance - thanks for the heads up,

i don't think I'd have a chance at lifting everything in one go so I'm taking the scope and arms off.

I nearly blinded myself last night looking at the moon - I think I need a moon filter.

49 minutes ago, Bino Pete said:

I'll have a look at the insurance - thanks for the heads up,

i don't think I'd have a chance at lifting everything in one go so I'm taking the scope and arms off.

I nearly blinded myself last night looking at the moon - I think I need a moon filter.

Get a 2 inch variable MF - the polarising type.  They transmit between 1 and 40% of the light.

Doug.

Archived