Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rainy Days, what do you do ?

Hi all, well while recovering from a gall bladder operation on Saturday i have sat and pondered my next project and scope purchase.

I want a light bucket so i have decided on the GSO based Revelation 12" F5. Best 12" value for money out there !!!

As this scope is only for visual use i do appreciate that it is more then capable of producing great planet views due to its size so i was thinking about high mag where usable and the

good old Dob design.

I love the idea of the dob set up, and want to build a light and easy mount that only requires pushing in one direction so i have started drawing some plans up to make

such a mount so while it rained today i thought i would build a scale working model of my plans.

Here it is so far....still a few refinements to do once woodwork commences but it looks pretty cool me thinks :p

I will make it out of 18mm moisture resistant MDF coated with a weather proof sealer and then sprayed with a car paint, i may even do the OTA but will see.

After making this little model i may even get the old 1:24 Airfix Spitfire ordered lol brought back a few good memories sat modeling away of my youth.

Thanks for dropping in and having a look.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Clear skies soon peeps.

Regards,

Lee.

P.S. As i build it i will post pics, i intend to use a 2"x3" TRT timber frame underneath with adjustable feet, the angle will be set to 54deg as i dont intend to travel beyond that, and i have see some great lazy susan bearings i will use, probably a 500mm (250kg load)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-INCH-500MM-LAZY-SUSAN-ROTATING-ALUMINIUM-TURNTABLE-BEARING-ROUND-UK-/161597308904?hash=item259ff33fe8:g:CeQAAOSwd0BV0wcm

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

Interesting project.

My initial thoughts were on the rotational  forces when lower down and the use of lazy susan bearings?

Having a focuser/finder on one side the scope may tend to spin that way easily.

I've never looked into fork mounts on equitorial wedges as you're proposing so can't offer much else? 

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Interesting project.

My initial thoughts were on the rotational  forces when lower down and the use of lazy susan bearings?

Having a focuser/finder on one side the scope may tend to spin that way easily.

I've never looked into fork mounts on equitorial wedges as you're proposing so can't offer much else? 

I hear ya Damian....its all in my head, the same thoughts at this very moment lol  until i actually get this thing up and working its hard to say...but the Alt bearings on the Revelation models are tension adjustable

so tightening these may help plus i can tighten down the rocker box to the wedge via the same principle considering the lazy susan will handle 250 kg load !!>??

So although not ideal using tension as a possible balance variable, as this is a visual set up it may be adequate but my only other option realistically is balance weights once the EQ DOB Wedge is constructed ?

What you reckon ? i am a novice at this after all and i am basing my build on commonsense and logic lol

Common sense and logic are a good base. Wish a few in industry had that same view.

Counter weights may be a good idea as you say its difficult to say how it will behave? 

You may have to playwoth the friction once it's up and running 

2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

You may have to play with the friction once it's up and running 

Yer...this is how i imagined it, to start....its all ideas for now, that said, even if i just used tension its not like anything would ever ware out as its never gunna get that amount of use....

And if these clouds have any say it wont even get a first light hahaha since i got back into this hobby and purchased my little 150p at Xmas 2015 i have NEVER seen so many cloudy nights :o 

Think i have jinxed you all lol sorry.

Seriously though....i reckon some canny placed counter weights will help :D

Archived