Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Mount?

At present I've got the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT.

If I bought a large reflector on an EQ mount (poss. HEQ5 pro) would I be able to interchange scopes on this mount - say if I wanted to look at the sun with my 127 and solar filter?

Absolutely - so long as you use the same a dovetail bar or plate on each scope you'll be able to interchange easily with an HEQ5 pro. If your 127 is currently alt/az mounted with a screwed on dovetail, then putting it on an EQ mount can put the finder in an awkward position cos it moves round 90o. So you will need to modify it's position or change finders - or get some new rings for the scope. You may also need to turn the diagonal round to a comfy position. But otherwise there should be little fiddling to do with most scopes (fracs, maks, sct's, newts). :)

An alternative is a dual mounting bar, (see FLO*). When you are observing with both 'scopes at night, you are not faffing about and/or tripping over them in the dark. Just remember that when you have both 'scopes attached for solar observation during the day, the finderscope and non-solar 'scope objective cell is covered securely so that it does not come off easily in a gust of wind. Another thing to consider is the payload and balancing of the mount too. An HEQ5 is capable of a heavy payloads, but check first with FLO*.

* other astro dealers/outlets are also available.

Archived