NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coat Hanger on a Pylon.

Cloudwatcher

LostNSpace's Brocchi's Cluster post reminded me of one I had taken the last time I was out (seems like an age ago) whilst searching for NGC 6802.

The Hanger appears quite by accident as the subject was an asterism that reminded me of pylon in the sky. A bit sad really but I like scanning the stars to see if I can find a group that reminds me of more earthly things. Do it with clouds too...... Cloudwatcher by name......... Cloud watcher by nature. :grin:

Anyhow,enough waffle,this is the image with 'The Coat Hanger' circled can you also see a pylon?

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

You captured it a lot better than i did CW. Personally i think its a very hard target to make out when you have a image with the FOV that you have of it, it is a very starry area of sky and it just blends in with the rest....

I had another go at it tonight, without luck though, tough one to get it all in my FOV so i gave up in the end.....

Cant say i can make out a pylon.....although my imagination is none existant this time of morning.......

Mark

Is it just me or does anyone else here not see these asterisms? I have them on my hand controller, sometimes I'll take in a few, you know, The Coathanger, The Kite, The Volvo S70 and that type of thing. It just looks like a bunch of stars to me. I can't for the life of me see a coathanger in that picture. Mind you, I can't even pick out constellations unless they are easy like Orion, Leo that sort of thing.

Dave....Have a look at it on stellarium(search NGC6802) or through bino`s next clear night....Its very hard to make out in CWs image even though he has highlighted it, as it is a starry part of the sky......it consists of 10 stars, 6 make up the main part of the CH and 4 stars the hook and looks like an upside down coathanger......

The most famous asterism is the big dipper....there are other well known ones...Diamond of Virgo, summer triangle, great square of pegusus, and the winter circle.....

The coathanger or Brocchis cluster is different for the fact that it is a pattern of stars seen in the night sky which isnt part of an official constellation.....this was the reason i imaged it the other night....

Archived