Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Firecapture settings for jupiter

stevie1980

hello everyone

ive recently bought a ZWO ASI120 MC.i tried it the other night using my DOB and i can say its better than my old webcam by a mile. i managed a half decent picture of jupiter with it the other night. 

i wasnt using firecapture as it looks very technical and im not tech. so i used a standard webcam software free over the net.

i hear so many good reports about firecapture so im going to give it another go tonight weather permitting.

is there any settings that anyone can help me with for jupiter and my zwo mc? ie .fps/brightness/exp/gain/ and the % of  the RGB. 

my profile pic is my latest pic of jupiter which i took on the 4th using software i found over the internet (just basic webcam software)

i realise that there might not be one single setting for jupiter as the settings need to be changed according to how good/bad the seeing is at the time but is there any information anybody could give me please.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

I normally whack both the gain & exposure right up to find & rough focus on the planet. Then adjust the gain & exposure down until I get a balance between the lowest gain & high enough fps. You need the histogram to cover most of its range without clipping the ends for proper exposure. I then focus properly. You need to be able to get at least 1000 usable frames out of your run in around 40 secs (or longer if using winjupos to derotate.) Use the ROI setting & you should be able to get a high enough frame rate to achieve this.

Archived