Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lomg term planning - Mars passing in front of Rho Ophiuchi Nebula - 22 Aug 2016

MikeODay

I have been thinking for some time that it might be cool to try to capture one of the planets passing in front of a deep sky object ( on different days of course due to the huge range in brightness values).   Today I was playing around with SkySafari and Mars will pass directly over IC 4603 and the bright open cluster Collinder 302 (in Scorpius) on the 22nd of August this year.  Because I am thinking of planning for this event it will of course be cloudy here but I thought someone else might also be interested so this post is really just a heads up.    

On the bottom of the Earth, where I am, we should be able to get a couple of hours to capture Mars after sunset and before it sinks too low in the sky.  Being summer up north I'm not sure how much time you will get.

Anyway, I just thought someone might be interested.

image.jpeg

Oh, and in case you haven't realised that I must be bored,  Jupiter will pass within about 6 arcmin of Saturn on the 22nd of December 2020 :)

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, jrastro said:

Mars is near the lagoon nebula as well on the 28th September.

Thanks I missed that one.. Unfortunately it will be too far away for my setup;. mmm, although, perhaps it is just the excuse I was looking for to justify the Takahashi 85mm I have been dreaming of ...

Archived