NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Communal Telescope + Good books?

Hello all,

Always looked up at the stars and have been fascinated and now have access to some of the most beautiful skies so am looking to buy a second hand telescope on a shoe string budget (roughly £50) which would be newbie friendly as I plan to put it in a communal part of a hotel, so the guests may have access to it too (thus the shoestring budget). Would also like to purchase an easy to digest book for the guests to be able to read and understand what they (and myself) are looking at and how to operate the telescope.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a neat idea.  Have you read the "what to expect to see" thread on here? 

Unless you stumble into a super deal I bet something like this is in your price range http://www.telescopes.com/collections/telescopes-for-kids/products/celestron-cosmos-firstscope-telescope

Honestly I almost got one, it looks easy and portable.

A "Dobsonian" like the SW Heritage 100P will give you the best "bang for your buck". Obviously, the larger the telescope, the more you can see... And as for the light reading I suggest "Turn left at Orion". Good luck!

HJ

What is your plan for this telescope? Is it going to be fixed in the location that your guests will be observing from or is the intention that it is kept in this communal area and then carried outside by guests who wish to use it? If it is to be carried outside do you have an area with tables that they could place the telescope on or do you require something that is free standing?

Sounds like a great idea - although for 50 pounds, you will be quite challenged to find a decent telescope even second-hand. I might look around for a 70mm refractor on an Alt-azimuth mounted tripod. These are pretty simple to use and will provide hotel guests with good views of the Moon, planets and many of the more visible features in the sky. Many also come with an erector eyepiece which allows for viewing "the right way up" in daytime if you have views of the Bristol Channel etc. If you're lucky you may find a vintage scope with a wooden tripod which in this case might make an attractive conversation point?

Skymaps.com provide a useful free two-page monthly starmap with a guide. You can print it from the computer, and maybe keep it next to the telescope in a transparent plastic sleeve.  http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Archived