Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended motors & gearing

choochoo_baloo

I am hoping that others may be able to recommend a particular supplier of 12V DC motors (of sufficient torque to open an observatory roof), and gears etc to produce a drive system. I'm happy to pay more for quality goods - as opposed to the various offerings from eBay and generic Google searches.

Thanks in advance.

For torquey 12v motors look into windscreen wiper motors. Cheap as chips from a scrap yard.

When we were kids my farther built for my brother a beautiful little car that ran on a 12v lead acid battery. The motor was a wiper motor from a Talbot Sunbeam and easily had enough power to carry a large adult.

An alternative may be a motor from a motobility scooter. Most are 24v, but I think some of the smaller ones are 12v. 

Great thanks all.

On 29 March 2016 at 22:58, D33P said:

For torquey 12v motors look into windscreen wiper motors. Cheap as chips from a scrap yard.

When we were kids my farther built for my brother a beautiful little car that ran on a 12v lead acid battery. The motor was a wiper motor from a Talbot Sunbeam and easily had enough power to carry a large adult.

An alternative may be a motor from a motobility scooter. Most are 24v, but I think some of the smaller ones are 12v. 

A local scrap yard is asking ~ £30 for a Peugeot/Ford wiper motor. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Archived