Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

why is jupiter looking green whilst making vid clip?

evening everybody.. last night i thought id give jupiter another go with my moded webcam a lifecam 3.0 .. the first few times all i was getting was a big white blob, this time i messed a little with the settings. managed to get a few 10 second clips of J  and it was hard with a dob scope to keep in FOV.  but the planet has a green tinge to it. for the life of me i cant make it close to the original color...

does anybody know why my webcam is making this look green?  im thinking it might be one of the settings that ive changed, but which one.. (hue) (sharpness) (saturate) (gamma)  (contrast) it  has been put through registax 6 the best i can get it , from looking on youtube 

What capture software are you using? Load the software up with the camera connected and look to see if there is a white balance option; I'd set this to auto. Can you take a screen shot of the capture software with all its settings showing when the camera is connected - i doesn't matter if you are not at the telescope, the camera can just be on your desk.

I would download and learn how to use either Sharpcap or FireCapture - I think Sharpcap is probably easier to get your head around as a newbie, but others will disagree. Download them both and have a play in daylight with the camera on your desk again, playing with the settings. I'd set the white balance to auto on whatever you use. I think the dedicated capture software (sharpcap or firecapture) will have better default settings than the software you are currently using.

James 

6 minutes ago, jambouk said:

I would download and learn how to use either Sharpcap or FireCapture - I think Sharpcap is probably easier to get your head around as a newbie, but others will disagree. Download them both and have a play in daylight with the camera on your desk again, playing with the settings. I'd set the white balance to auto on whatever you use. I think the dedicated capture software (sharpcap or firecapture) will have better default settings than the software you are currently using.

James 

well using the cam on my desk will be impossible now, ive thrown the lens away lol. just left with the cmos sensor just for astro imaging. i will download them both in a mo thanks. im thinking of getting a zwo asi soon or a neximage5 but  many people say just to use webcam coz its no different? whats yr opinion on webcam vs astrocams ? 

When i say use the camera on your desk, i just mean allow some light into the camera so you can play with the settings; youdon't have to have an image to be able to focus, hide the camera under a book but allow a bit of light in. 

Webcams are a great start for planetary imaging. Most people start that way. Jupiter isn't going to hang around for much longer, so if you are determind to get the very best images possible in 2016 I'd buy a dedicated planetary camera tomorrow; if you are happy with the sorts of inages you are already capturing (albeit with better colour balance) and would rather not soend £200 or whatever then stick with what you have got for now. 

I'm not sure if you are already using a Barlow or a Powermate but that may be a good mid-way option for you.

look on the forums for people with the same telescope as you who are doing planetary imaging, see what cameras they are using.

james

1 minute ago, jambouk said:

When i say use the camera on your desk, i just mean allow some light into the camera so you can play with the settings; youdon't have to have an image to be able to focus, hide the camera under a book but allow a bit of light in. 

Webcams are a great start for planetary imaging. Most people start that way. Jupiter isn't going to hang around for much longer, so if you are determind to get the very best images possible in 2016 I'd buy a dedicated planetary camera tomorrow; if you are happy with the sorts of inages you are already capturing (albeit with better colour balance) and would rather not soend £200 or whatever then stick with what you have got for now. 

I'm not sure if you are already using a Barlow or a Powermate but that may be a good mid-way option for you.

look on the forums for people with the same telescope as you who are doing planetary imaging, see what cameras they are using.

james

i think i will give this another go with the webcam for now. theres always saturn in june or july i believe. yes im using a x2 barlow. thinking of buying a x3 now. i will be buying a planetary cam next week if this doesnt work for me this time lol thanks for the help its well appreciated 

Well touch base with Mansfield and District Astronomical Society; they've gotolentyof imagers in their midst andit wouldbe goodfor youto have localcontacts to help you out:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Mansfield-and-Sutton-Astronomical-Society-at-Sherwood-Observatory/141550702600701

A 3x Barlow may give you bigger image but will also give you a bigger headache when it comes to pushing the mount to keep Jupiter in the field of view.

James

10 minutes ago, jambouk said:

Where in Nottinghamshire are you?

yes  im struggling now to keep it in my FOV i wsh there was a goto system to put on it ,  i will try  the sutton astro out, i was looking at their website the other day as it happens. cheers james

steve ;)

Archived