NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I purchased an Orion xt 8 about 5 months ago. I have been having lots of fun using it and understand the calumniation process. Yesterday I took the mirror off to wash  it, I followed Orions directions and it went well, until I tried to fucus on Jupiter last night. I could not get it to fine fucus, I could not even see the cloud bands. The strange thing is when I would bring Jupiter out of focus it would devide in 3, kinda like a big Mickey Mouse head. Weird, I don't remember that happening before I cleaned the mirror. Btw I did not touch the secondary mirror. So did I do a poor job of washing the mirror, is it installed wrong, is there something about columnation I don't understand???? HeLP! 

Mike - when you put the mirror back in the cell after washing - how tight did you do the mirror clips up? They don't need to grip the mirror - just hold it in place. I usually test by sliding a very thin piece of paper between each clip and the mirror surface - if it doesn't slide out it's too tight, so I just back the screw out a 1/8th turn till it does.

Then try collimate again from there - if it's still the same then the problem will be at the top end of the scope. Hth :)

Archived