NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camcorder for Imaging?

Foo Fita

Hi Guys.

I have a Sony Handycam Camcorder. Would this be any good for trying imaging? Has anyone any experience of using a camcorder for astro work?

If so what kind of adaptor would I need to attach to my scope?

Thanks,

FF

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Dont know if you are still thinking about this. I have used a camcorder attached via a generic adapter to image saturn. The results are reasonable.

I am going to try it again once I find a better way to attach the camcorder.

TJ

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2eu/erol.html

These eagleeye digimount adaptors have been successful for birding applications. They screw on to the camera, and then push on to the eyepiece. You then tighten the adaptor using it's 4 screws. Some eyepieces are more suited than others. Eyepieces with a completely smooth profile fit the best. The adaptors have:

1) 37mm screw thread which fits a lot of camcorders and 28mm which fit compacts.

2) 4 screws on the outer adaptor case which go through the case and tighten on the (removable) inner collar, which then grips the eyepiece.

3) This collar has a rubber liner to avoid scratching the eyepiece.

4) Avaiable to fit a wide variety of different diameter eyepieces.

The design is such that in general there is only 2-3mm gap between the outer surface of the eyepiece lens and the outer surface of the camcorder lens, this usually means vignetting is kept to a minimum. If when you hold the camcorder over the eyepiece vignetting is not a problem, it's unlikely to be a problem with the digimount adaptor attached. In use, it's usually best to remove the eyepiece eyecup.

Not sure if they are suited to astro use but they are very popular with birders for both digital compacts and camcorders. I can explain more fully if necesary.

Dave

Archived