NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

phd2 which mount connection cable?

EQ6 synscan

Hi everyone

I just got my webcam connected to phd2. I believe that I must now connect the computer-camera combination to the st4 port on the mount. I only see st4 cables with rj11 on both ends. What cable do I need now to complete the connection?

Please: this is Linux only so no ascom, pulse or eqmod.

TIA

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is it adds more cost. I just updated my synscan handset and have a usb to serial cable which used the centre port on the synscan handset using the rs232 to rj cable that came with the mount. Is there a way via that connection to phd2?

2 hours ago, kens said:

On Linux you use INDI instead of ASCOM.

Connect the USB-serial cable to the RS232-RJ11 to the handset. Set the handset to PC-direct.

Ah, OK. Thanks. INDI then, although this is looking more and more line a xp vm. I'll have a look.

The cable you describe is what i have, but according to this, the handset is not set to PC-direct. If that's the case, it looks as if that's all I need. I wonder if PHD2 will talk through the connection you describe?

Setting the handset to PC-direct seems to vary from person to person. With my EQ6pro I needed it for PHD2 to talk to the mount. Now I use an EQdirect cable and bypass the handset.

Hi everyone

I went via eqmod afterall. After experimenting with cartes du ciel and eqmod, you can't go back to the hand controller. One or two issues but I'll start another thread.

Thanks to all who helped get me connected.

** Oh, for the record. The cables you need are:

- computer side: usb - 232male. Connect to the mount via...

- mount side: 232female - rj (the one which come with the mount which you use to update the firmware)

The rj plus into the centre socket on the handset. For eqmod, you set the handset to pcdirect. I think that this is called pulse guiding. Keep the handset because you can still use the NSEW slew keys. HTH

Archived