Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carry case for Celestron C11 SCT - advice please.

Riemann

I am hitting the limits of what I can achieve in my garden and have decided I will need to travel to a dark site and so I need something in which to transport my C11 tube.
I have the original box but it is not the easiest to get the tube in and out of and that will prove even harder when packing up in the dark, added to which the finder, Telrad, and diagonal do not fit in it very well.   Having nearly fallen off my seat at the price of the ready-made carry cases I have decided that making my own might be wise.

My initial thoughts are to buy a cuboid team sports kit bag, cut 5 pieces of plywood for the bottom and sides, glue them in, then add a layer of foam padding though I am unsure about the best density to use.

Any thoughts on the best approach would be much appreciated and any pics of home-made ones for a sizeable tube would be a great bonus.

When I got my C8 it came with the Celestron branded Pelican case, which, even though it offers excellent protection, is a ) huge, and b )  heavy - even without the OTA in it.

I've often wished for something smaller, like a soft case, that'll go on the in the car much easier than trying to wrestle the hard case in.

Lance

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I built a flight case for my C8 OTA which was much lighter and more compact than the case it came in (the kids used that as a big "pirate's treasure chest). It is made entirely of birch plywood (which is much more elastic than the usual stuff). I can send a picture later

Thanks for the info Michael.   Did you pad it with foam?  And if so, what density?

Archived