NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixinsight "RED" Image

I suspect this is has been asked many times before, so apologies in advance! I did find one thread that sounded like it was along similar lines, but the images were "broken" so I was not 100% sure.

I've been working my way into Pixinsight with Harry's help and, after playing around with a recent image, I thought I woudl go back in time a bit and try and work on some subs from last year in the hope I could tease out some more detail than in PS.

I am using a modified Canon 100D and was using 56x3 minute images of Andromeda, with the requisite BIAS/FLATS/DARKS

Using Harry's Tutorials, I BATCH PREPROCESSED the files and then INTEGRATED the Registered files. All good so far. When I applied STF to the INTEGRATED image "just to see" - I got this.....a very red and odd looking image.

integration.thumb.jpg.320cbb75a8f4c37b8e

Having spent hours waiting for this moment, I was a little confused/disappointed.....but not yet broken!

So just for the hell of it I applied a quick dose of DBE and re-applied STF to the DBE'd image and this sprung up.

integration_DBE.thumb.jpg.e5da22d1a32cc3

Which is obviously moving in the right direction and looking not too far from where I got in PS.

I guess my question is, is that RED image something that can be expected with STF applied to INTEGRATED DSLR images in PI? Or have I, perhaps, put some dodgy setting in place that can cause this?

I applied the settings very much as recommended by HARRY and ticked CFA and debayered the images with RGGB selected as i am sure that is right for my Canon.

Before I managed to get the script to work, I tried using the MASTER BIAS/DARKS/FLATS I stacked last year in DSS. This didn't work (I think I guessed it wouldn't). I thought I had removed them before re-running the script, but could I have caused this problem (if it is a problem) by missing one of them?

Anyway, it seems to be working, so perhaps not a major issue, just checking if I am on the right path.

Hopefully I won't be inundating you with queries as I find my way in PI - you can always get one of the MODs to turn me off for a while if I get annoying....

Thanks, in advance for any help!

Cheers

Mark

That's looking pretty good for straight out of DBE, I've always found these extreme colour casts before DBE in STF preview and just accepted them - oddly sometimes they're red and sometimes green. Might try the STF process now :)

1 hour ago, russp said:

That's looking pretty good for straight out of DBE, I've always found these extreme colour casts before DBE in STF preview and just accepted them - oddly sometimes they're red and sometimes green. Might try the STF process now :)

I just use the STF as per Harry to get an idea of the data and it was just a bit worrying the way it came up. Will check tonight and play around with the linked settings... I suspect that, once I get it right, there won't be as much of a dramatic change!

But, it isn't far off where I got with the image in PS after just DBE, so looking forward to playing some more!

44 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

I just use the STF as per Harry to get an idea of the data and it was just a bit worrying the way it came up. Will check tonight and play around with the linked settings... I suspect that, once I get it right, there won't be as much of a dramatic change!

But, it isn't far off where I got with the image in PS after just DBE, so looking forward to playing some more!

You might find this useful http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-example-m31-andromeda-galaxy---dslr.html

3 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

You don't need much imbalance in the colours for the STF to show some hideous casts when used in linked mode.

Kayron's tutorials (as linked by russp) are also very good and will certainly help you get the most from your data :)

Thanks Paul - there are definitely a lot of tutorials to work through - I think that is the big "problem" PI, the sheer number of options, buttons and tweaks - but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and a lot of it is coming clearer.....unlike the skies around here!!! ;-)

Archived