Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar eclipse, August 1914

jambouk

I recently got hold of a book by the Rev Samuel Jenkins Johnson: Eclipses, past and future, 1874. A previous owners initials are on the fly sheet and look to me to be AEB. Interestingly there is also a small "photograph" showing the sun in various phases of partial eclipse dated 21 August 1914, with what looks like "Gore Farm". Images below. I wonder if anyone has any ideas who AEB might have been or where Gore Farm is? This isn't important, just interesting.

James

Johnson(s).JPG

Gore Farm eclipse(s).JPG

I note from the stamp on the title page, it is a presentation copy from the publisher - so perhaps it was sent to someone with known astronomical interests for review. If there are membership lists of the RAS or BAA for this period, there might be someone with the AEB initials?

From the book's publication in 1874 to the eclipse of 1914 is 40 years, so it is quite possible that the photographer is not the original owner of the book. However, the only Google reference to a Gore Farm in England is at Upchurch in Kent - so maybe a lead?

Good luck!

Archived