planetary EP recommendations for an 80mm f/6 APO

Hi all, I am looking for some help choosing a decent EP for planetary work with a f/6 LOMO 80/480 apo refractor. Right now I have the 5 and 21mm Baader Hyperions.

The planetary EP I am currently using is a 2.5mm skywatcher UWA (A TMB planetary clone). It rattles and has some smudges which can been seen when it is used. Long story...  

It gives okay views on the planets but it looks like that 2.5mm is pushing the limit for the scope. I am looking for a 3mm EP instead which would still give a x160 magnification.

I have done some research and have found a few possible choices: A replacement Skywatcher 2.5mm, an Orion edge-on 3mm or the Long Perng planetary 3mm. The Long Perng seems much cheaper and possibly the same as the edge on. I have also thought of a Radian or an actual TMB Planetary II but they don't seem to be very easy to find in Melbourne. Does anyone have any opinions on these eyepieces, or maybe something else? Thanks for your help.

I have a Meade triplet 80mm f6 and for planets my 'one stop shop' is a Nagler zoom. Not cheap although I bought used. It gives 80-160x and is really excellent if you can take the shortish eye relief - it does not feel as tight as stated - 10mm.

I'm another Radian / Nagler Zoom / Tele Vue user but if you can't get them easily then the William Optics SPL 3mm might be worth a look. They get very good feedback and are less epensive than the Tele Vue options.

Personally I prefer a wider view because my scopes don't track either but I can handle the 50 degrees as needed. Michael has just reminded me of the Pentax XW's - I have the 5mm and 3.5mm in that range and they are really superb :glasses1:

Thanks guys for your advice and help so far. I'm tossing up between the SLV 2.5mm and the long perng 3mm (OEM of the William Optics SPL). With the 2.5mm I'm unsure of the low FOV because of the high mag (compared to the 5mm Michael has) making the drift go quicker, and my concern with the 3mm is it produces a low-ish magnification of 160x for planets with the refractor when I can push it to 192x. Unfortunately I can't find XW's here :hmh:

I'm leaning towards the slv as it probably has the better image quality, and I'll make do with the low fov ?

Archived