NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SPC900 and new scope

roblegion

Set up a new scope tonight for astrophotography (Opticstar 102S) (only used for observation so far), attached SPC900 via flip mirror, nice image in eyepiece, absolutely nothing on Sharpcap.

Could the difference in focus be that far out to give me absolutely nothing, not even a fuzzy image?, shone red torch down tube got red image on screen.

Afraid so Rob

Set it up on a distant object during the day, get the camera focused first, then work out how far the eyepiece has to be inserted into the other port.

Long Exposure SPC900? Object might not have been bright enough for an un-modded camera.

Michael

take the flip mirror out and connect the camera straight  in the focuser  ,use the slow mo function on the handset   To find  often when you put a web cam in with a small chip it's not always on the chip when you slew to it ,I would wait till the moons out and practice on this ,either that or use a ep to centre the planet /moon and then put the cam in ,is it modded for long expo ,or just standard  

pat

pat

Thanks Pat, I tried straight on the focuser last night, but by this time I was tired and teasy, decided to have a go with the crescent moon later when I'm in a better frame of mind.

It didn't help that Win 10 kept saying "your computer has met a problem and is shutting down", but as soon as I dismantled everything, plugged the cam in and no issues!!!!!!!!!.

Just one of those nights (hopefully).

5 minutes ago, roblegion said:

Thanks Pat, I tried straight on the focuser last night, but by this time I was tired and teasy, decided to have a go with the crescent moon later when I'm in a better frame of mind.

It didn't help that Win 10 kept saying "your computer has met a problem and is shutting down", but as soon as I dismantled everything, plugged the cam in and no issues!!!!!!!!!.

Just one of those nights (hopefully).

All  good fun ain't it ,I had many a night screaming shouting banging my head on the counter weights and all the rest ,you'll get there it's a challenge whet imdidmin the end to try and get it on that chip was this ,make sure your finder scope is band on target I usually star with a 25mm ep fine tune the finder scope,and then get more power 15mm then a 10mm ,in the end I brought a illuminated reticule ep I think iit was around 9mm the finder is all important on this 

stick with it and update us on your progress it will help others and am interested to find out how you get on 

pat

The finder was absolutely spot on, and I went down to 9mm visually, centered, camera blanco.

I know the damned thing is working, I even put the original lens back on to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm sure it must be a focus matter, more fun and frustration later.:headbang:

You should,try pointing a manual 16" dob at a planet with a cam in what little hair i have left  his,all,about hone:happy6:

thatnsaid,we should have at least a blurry image of you tonight post whatever you get it's a start ps if you have a hat I would wear it will save lots of,hair pulling 

pat 

Hi Rob,

What object are you trying to image?

If you have everything lined up during the day, then maybe your unmodded camera isn't sensitive enough.

Try putting gain and contrast on Max and hope for a big white blob!

If your flip mirror is properly aligned ie when you flip between the camera and eyepiece the distant object is centred on both - why remove it?

Saves messing around  swapping camera and eyepiece.

But make sure camera is in the port that goes straight into the scope, no mirror in the way.

Michael

Archived