NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Needle Galaxy NGC 4565 - Beginner looking for advice

russp

NGC4565 - 14 10minute colour exposures with flats and bias (No darks used) - 127mm APO Triplet Refractor with x0.8Reducer, AZEQ6-GT, Atik314L+, SGP for capture, PixInsight for stacking and processing. Still very much a beginner at this so would be grateful for any tips/help on what can be improved and more importantly how. Taken Monday 7th March from rural village back garden in South Oxfordshire.

Needle Galaxy Final.jpg

Did you use dithering between individual subs. I'm guessing that at 10 min exposures, you are using a guiding system which could also drive the dithering too. I use a Lacerta auto guider which dithers for me, I choose a 14 pixel dither which really cuts down the noise and allows me to stretch more in Pixinsight. I use bias and darks in my calibration before stacking and rely on DBE to remove vignettes in place of flats.

the other advice I would give is get as many subs as you can and use only the best. For some of my recent images I've used up to 100x3 minute subs, that's 5 hours total exposure time after I've discarded any with star trails or camera wobble.

By the way I love the image russp. The detail on the dust band edge on is fantastic, must have a go at this from my backyard in Surrey sometime soon. I was concentrating on M51 at the same time on Monday.

Richard.

9 minutes ago, RSM said:

Did you use dithering between individual subs. I'm guessing that at 10 min exposures, you are using a guiding system which could also drive the dithering too. I use a Lacerta auto guider which dithers for me, I choose a 14 pixel dither which really cuts down the noise and allows me to stretch more in Pixinsight. I use bias and darks in my calibration before stacking and rely on DBE to remove vignettes in place of flats.

the other advice I would give is get as many subs as you can and use only the best. For some of my recent images I've used up to 100x3 minute subs, that's 5 hours total exposure time after I've discarded any with star trails or camera wobble.

By the way I love the image russp. The detail on the dust band edge on is fantastic, must have a go at this from my backyard in Surrey sometime soon. I was concentrating on M51 at the same time on Monday.

Richard.

Thank you, Yes - enabled dithering for the first time (no idea how many pixels - just selected high setting!) - guiding with PHD2, also not using darks was an experiment based on advice on techniques elsewhere to use a superbias but everything I read seems to stress the importance of flats - I think my CCD is low enough noise that it doesn't need darks but I do have the same image processed with darks that I need to finish off to see the difference. Would have had more subs if the guiding hadn't failed after I left it running and went to bed!!  The mount is rock solid and I rarely have to discard for anything other than clouds or guide failures (one went by the wayside in this) but I did weight the exposures using the subframe selector script. 

This is a very good start - nicely framed, good focus, flat background.  There appears to be some artefact in the background toward the upper left and this maybe an effect from your flat field.

I think you simply need to collect more data which will help build on detail, SNR and enhance the lovely colour that your data is showing.

Thanks Barry - the artifact is a blur in my optical train - needs a good clean and the flats didn't quite get it all out. That will be sorted before the next session.

I agree with the guys above, thats a superb image for a relatively new imager. You say 14x10minute colour exposures, So I assume this is just RGB? my advice would be to get some luminance subs to add to the RGB you already have.

Archived